Everything but the kitchen sink! Quiche is one of the most delicious and easiest ways to get rid of the random food in your fridge. I grew up with my mom’s recipe using broccoli, green onion, swiss and cheddar cheese. I switched the veggies with what I had available, spinach and mushroom!
I just bought a mini muffin tray so I decided to try out mini quiches instead of one large one. It was also still ridiculously hot for Seattle and I figured mini quiches would take a lot less time in the oven.
Spinach and Mushroom Mini Quiches
Makes about 2 dozen
You will need:
- 1/2 recipe basic pie dough
- 24 count mini muffin/tart pan
- 3-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter
- 3-4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Prepare the crust: Roll out the chilled pie dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-14 inch circle.
- Using the biscuit cutter, cut out 24 rounds. If you don’t have enough dough, you can re-roll the dough scraps several times to cut out all the rounds. However, the more the dough is rolled, the more the gluten will be activated in the wheat, which can result in toughened dough.
- Place one round in each mini tart pan, pressing the dough down and onto the sides of the pan.
- Chill for 20 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Prepare the filling: Heat up the olive oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms with a dash of salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the saucepan and stir into the mushrooms for 2 minutes, allowing it to wilt down but remain green, and remove from heat to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a small bowl and set aside.
- Assemble the quiches: Place a pinch of both shredded cheeses on the bottom of each quiche crust.
- Using a spoon, add a small amount of filling to each one.
- Slowly and carefully pour a little of the egg mixture over the filling.
- Top each mini quiche with another pinch of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden and the egg mixture has set.
- Cool for 15 minutes.